£1.1m valve deal for ice-breakers

0
Have your say

A Sheffield engineering company has won a £1.1m order for valves on ice-breakers shipping liquefied gas from Siberia.

Parker Bestobell Marine has received a major new order from Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering in South Korea to supply cryogenic valves for three new ships.

The ‘on-deck’ valves will have to work in Arctic conditions as low as -54°C.

It will take eight months from date of order to delivery. The valves are cast before being finished in the firm’s factory on President Way, Attercliffe.

It is the latest order in a contract with Daewoo for valves for 15 ships worth a total of £5.8 million.

Market development manager, Duncan Gaskin said: “The fact that our valves have been specified for such a large and prestigious project is testament to the quality of their manufacture. This project called upon the innovation of our design and technical engineers to come up with a solution to ensure that the actuators would operate normally in such extreme environments.”

The 15 ships to be built in this series, by DSME, are for three customers: MOL of Japan, Teekay of Canada and Dynagas of Greece.

The ships are designed specifically for the LNG Yamal project in Russian Siberia and will be required to navigate ice more than two metres thick.

Russian gas producer Novatek holds an 80 per cent stake in the Yamal LNG project, with the remaining 20 per cent owned by Totally. From 2019 the project is expected to produce 16.5 million tonnes of liquefied natural gas each year.

Back to the top of the page